Sunday, August 29, 2010

fresh vs microwaved...interesting experiment....UPDATED

added today (8/31): we started 6 more plants....2 will be watered with fresh tap water, 2 will be watered with microwaved water, and 2 will be watered with stove top boiled water...will be interesting to see how it goes this time)
*
*
A couple months ago I had read about someone planting a couple items...then they watered one with water that had been microwaved. The other they watered with regular water. It said that the one with microwaved water did not grow at all but the one with "regular" water flourished. I didn't think this was true and I suspected there would at least be some growth in both pots.
I decided to try this experiment with my our kids. I bought 6 small planters and some marigold seeds along with some soil. I let the kids decorate the planters, then they filled their pots with soil and planted their seeds. We then took two water bottles and labeled them..one with water that I had microwaved for 5 min and let cool to room temperature, then the other with fresh tap water that was also left at room temperature. We set them in our kitchen window seal...3 on one side and 3 on the other. We watered them daily with the same amount of water with the only difference being 3 were watered with fresh water and 3 were watered with the microwaved water. Here are a few pics during our experiment. There was an OBVIOUS difference. Check it out.........
The top row are regular water
the bottom row are microwaved water
(very obvious difference)
*******************************************************

microwaved water (upper photo)
vs
regular water (bottom photo)
**************************************************************

regular water on left
microwaved water on right

****************************************************************



Final photos....look at the huge difference.



The flowers that were watered with regular fresh water obviously grew at a much faster rate than the flowers watered with microwaved water. The fresh water flowers had much fuller and healthier looking leaves then the others. They also had many more flowers than the microwaved ones. Makes you think twice about what you are eating that comes out of a microwave. Surely makes me want to use my microwave less. This is proof that the microwave damages the food and things we put into it.

( I had decided to do 3 of each...to be sure the results were consistent...which you can see from the pics that they were)

12 comments:

~~Deby said...

I wondered how they all came out..WOW..I have hard microwaving changes the nutrional value of your food...I am going to take a pic, put this on my blog and send them to you to read this..

Tracy said...

WOW! I'm amazed, but not surprised. Very interesting!

Deborah said...

That's amazing! I've heard lots of bad stuff about microwaves, but as they say...a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting this!

Sharon said...

Well, my goodness! Surely does make you think about phasing out the microwave! I'll be boiling my water for tea the old fashioned way. In a pot on my stove. :D

Anonymous said...

Interesting, indeed. I wonder if there would be a difference if you boiled the 'fresh' water on the stove and let it cool just like with the microwaved water. When you cook the old-fashioned way, the heat destroys some nutrients, too.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Makes me kinda glad I don't use or own a microwave.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Very interesting....

Emily's Posts said...

We don't have a microwave at all. For this same reason at first, then because of lack of space for the other reason! I wonder what would happen, though, if you boiled water on the stove, then let it sit to room temp. and try that experiment! Because heating your food kills nutrients no matter how it is cooked. hmmm. just wondering. "food" for thought! ;-)

Mo said...

GULP......microwaves are good for pizza....if one MUST heat some up.....I will surely keep this mind when cooking in the future. I think Alton Brown would want to know this......(Good Eats)

Emily's Posts said...

Looking forward to the updated results!! =)

Anonymous said...

I am stunned! I have fibromyalgia and often heat the water for my magnesium/calcium drink in the microwave. Could I be having a much more favorable result by boiling the water instead of microwaving? I must switch immediately. Thanks for this eye-popping experiment.
Take extra good care,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Another thought, Kristi, did you microwave the water in the plastic bottle? Maybe some BPA/chemicals leached from the plastic stunting the growth of the plant as well? Would be interesting to see how the plants did with microwaved water in glass compared to microwaved water in plastic. This is really interesting. I really appreciate your experiment! =) We need to rephase ours out...we had done it once before we moved but then we moved and unfortunately, it's a convenience but not necessarily worth it! =)
Love,
Destiny